Wow! I just finished reading a great book that I will tell you about soon (it’s Reading Is Our Business by Sharon Grimes, in case you can’t wait for my video review).
After reading about this amazing librarian, who created a reading workshop in her library, I checked out the website for her school district.
- They include projects for all subjects, English/Language Arts, Math, Science and Social Studies (math? yes! math!)
- They have appropriate, challenging projects for grades 1-5.
- They focus on essential questions (as Jamie McKenzie advocates; important questions requiring authentic research).
- There are rubrics, checklists, organizers and other related documents, linked to the description of each project.
- They require higher level thinking skills, not just read and regurgitate in your own words. Students will create answers, instead of merely finding answers.
- They incorporate electronic resources.
- The final product is not a “report.” They show creative ways to present student learning!